Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Speech-Language Success Stories # 6



I am currently in the last 9 weeks of the school year in my district and spring break is 3 days away!! Speech-language therapy progress notes and report cards went home with kids last Friday. Naturally, SLPs review our students' data and document speech-language objectives that they have mastered, made progress,  and areas that they may be struggling with learning a skill. 

My success story today is about having students celebrate their victories in the speech language therapy room. I have a poster that says "Super Speech Students- We Are Meeting Goals!!!" Students put a star sticker on the chart for each objective that they meet based on their Individualized Education Plan (IEP) mastery criteria. They really seem to enjoy looking at the incentive poster and counting their stars. 

I also have many of them graph their progress and take home their graph when they meet a goal! I can not count the times that I hear "What's my score?"  or "Did I do good today?" They know that I take data regularly and that I desire for them to LEARN and improve their scores or percentages of accuracy. Many of them can't wait to get their hands on my handy Super Duper clipboard that has a calculator at the top. Occasionally, I let a few of them enter the fraction to figure out their percentage of accuracy. I teach them how to convert the decimal to a percentage too! Math in the speech-language room! Say What?!

At the end of the 9 weeks, which usually coincides with a holiday too, I bring edible treats to reward their hard work towards meeting goals. Here are some goodies that I handed out today. 



I also gave out new stickers! Remember to celebrate students' successes in your speech-language therapy sessions or classroom too!

Tamara Anderson
SLP on Spring Break Soon



1 comment:

  1. Nice article. There are few well-known Speech Language Pathologists in Kolkata who provide speech therapy. Looking forward to more informative articles from you.

    ReplyDelete