Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Speech-Language Success Stories # 4



Thank you so much Tamara for letting me guest blog today!  My name is Aersta Acerson and I have been given the wonderful opportunity of sharing a speech success story with you today.  First, let me say Happy Blogiversary to Building Successful Lives!  I love all the fun things happening here in this extended celebration!  Now a little about myself.  I have been working as an SLP (obviously!) for 3 years now, and I LOVE IT!  I have worked in both the schools and in private practice and I have loved both settings.  I also enjoy creating materials for speech therapy, and I own the TPT store Speaking Freely, SLP.  I am also a mom to two beautiful little girls who are my heart and soul! 

Now on to my success story.  It was during my CF year and I had a language group made up of 5th and 6th graders.  That year we focused heavily on learning curriculum vocabulary and understanding figurative language, specifically idioms.  Lots and LOTS of idioms.  It was a Friday afternoon at the end of the month, and my group had earned a game day, so my students chose to play Don't Wake Daddy.  We had recently talked about the meaning of the idiom "You dodged that bullet."  One of my students took his turn and rolled a six.  The Daddy hadn't "woken" in awhile, so we all assumed the student was going to get it!  When he didn't wake Daddy, another one of my students said, "Wow, you missed that bullet!"  SUCCESS!!!  Now, he didn't get the idiom exactly correct, but we had been working on understanding idioms more than using them, and he had spontaneously used the idiom in correct context.  I was ecstatic!  It's that kind of moment that makes it all worth it, don't you think?  :)  Have a blessed day!

Aersta Acerson, CCC-SLP
Click above to check out products in my online TPT Store! Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Nice article. There are few well-known Speech Language Pathologists in Kolkata who provide speech therapy. Looking forward to more informative articles from you.

    ReplyDelete